What Is God Like?
· GOD IS PERSONAL- He possesses all the qualities of personality—intelligence, emotions, and self-determining will—in their ultimate and infinitely wonderful forms (Isaiah 46:10; Jeremiah 29:11; John 3:16). Though immeasurably greater than we are, He can relate to us and we can relate to Him with our minds, hearts, and wills (Deuteronomy 6:5).
· God Is Eternal—His inestimable value is seen in the mind boggling fact that He is from everlasting to everlasting (Psalm 90:2). Unlike any other being He never had a beginning and He will never have an end. He is, for every generation of worshipers, the Ever-living One.
· God Is Spirit—Jesus taught us that God cannot be contained or limited by physical places, forms, or buildings (John 4:24). As Spirit, He does not exist in a body that can be seen or touched. Therefore, He must not be reduced to a physical image of any kind.
· God Is All-Knowing—He is unlimited in His knowledge (Psalm 147:4, 5; Matthew 10:29, 30; Romans 11:33). He knows everything there is to know about us, our world and the universe. His knowledge is not hindered by locked doors, darkness, or distant places.
· God Is All Powerful—He can do anything that He chooses to do (Genesis 18:14; Psalm 115:3; Matthew 19:26). No good thing is beyond His ability to do. No army, government, or civilizations can frustrate His purposes.
· God Is Everywhere-Present—There is no hiding or escaping—no way to avoid the all-powerful One. No locked room or secret meeting place can keep Him out. No matter where you go in the universe, God is there (1 Kings 8:27; Psalm 139:7, 8; Jeremiah 23:23, 24; Acts 17:27, 28).
· God Is Sovereign—regardless of the apparent turmoil, confusion, or chaos in our world, the God we worship is One who does all things according to His own will and purpose (Isaiah 46:10, 11; Daniel 4:35; Eph. 1:11). He is, has been, and always will be in control of all of history. Nothing can escape His ever-present hand.
· God Is Unchanging—In His character, in His purpose, in His ability, God never changes (James 1:17). He has never been nor ever will be less good, less loving, less true, or less powerful. The God that Abraham praised and relied on is the same God we worship.