When we live daily under the authority of Jesus as our Lord, we do whatever He wants (Luke 6:46). Obedience to Him shows that we love Him (John 14:15). The results of this obedience will demonstrate how much He loves us and wants what is best for our lives (John 14:21,23). To live for God rather than self requires a superhuman power. This comes from Him. Without Him we can do nothing (John 15:5). He has made a wonderful provision for us to live a growing, fruitful and overcoming life.
1. Who is the Helper promised by the Lord Jesus? (John 14:16-17)
2. When and how does the Helper come? (Ephesians 1:13)
3. Where does the Helper live? (Romans 8:11) Why is this an advantage to us?
4. What does Scripture say regarding the idea that it is possible to be a believer and not have the help of the Spirit? (Romans 8:9,11)
5. What does this make the body of every believer? (1 Corinthians 6:19) How should this affect our attitude?
6. What special warning is given to those whose body is this Temple? (1 Corinthians 6:18) How do we have victory over fleshly desires? (Galatians 5:16)
7. What are we commanded to do as believers? (Ephesians 5:18)
8. What does alcohol do to a drunken man? What does the Spirit do to a yielded believer in the comparison of Ephesians 5:18?
9. What can a believer do to the Helper? (Ephesians 4:30) Can you suggest some examples of what might cause this in your life?
10. List the results of this control in the believer’s life. (Galatians 5:22-23) These are what God wants in us.
Ask yourself these questions:
In what way have you laid hold by faith of this great spiritual power within?
What are the practical evidences that the Holy Spirit is working in your life?
What are the hindrances in your personal life to full control by the Spirit of God? (Bad habits, questionable relationships, stubborn attitudes, unforgiving spirit, things needing to be made right.)
Review Romans 10:9; 1 John 5:13; Acts 2:41; Matthew 28:19; Joshua 1:8; Mark 1:35; Matthew 7:7; John 10:10b; 1 Corinthians 10:13; Proverbs 28:13; Luke 6:46; Acts 2:42; 1 John 5:12; Acts 1:8
Memorize Romans 8:9, “However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.”
Ephesians 5:18, “Be filled with the Spirit.”