You have taken a stand as a follower of the Lord Jesus. You are one of the few people in the world that has eternal life now and is now on the road to heaven. All others are on the broad road leading to destruction (Matthew 7:13-14). Surely you are concerned about those who are now lost. The Lord Jesus has called you to be His witness in the courtroom of the world (Acts 1:8). As a witness you can tell others what Christ has done in your life and how others can have Him as Lord and Savior. Can you show someone how to be sure of going to heaven?
The following questions and verses are designed to help you work through a presentation of the Gospel with someone in an orderly way.
Never show others how to be saved until you have first confirmed that they know why they need to be saved.
1. Who is a sinner and how is sin defined? (Romans 3:23; Isaiah 53:6)
2. What is the penalty of sin? (Romans 6:23)
3. Physical death means separation of the soul from the body. Spiritual or second death separates the soul from God (Revelation 20:11-15). In verse 12, what is in the books? What is in the Book of Life? What is the second death?
Most professing Christians cannot answer intelligently the question, “Why did Jesus die on the cross?” Even if they answer, “He died for our sins,” it may be a case of saying words without understanding their meaning. Let’s go through a series of questions:
4. What is God’s provision for bringing people to salvation? (Romans 1:16)
5. What are the three parts of the message? (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
6. What is the heart of the message? (1 Corinthians 1:18)
7. Carefully read 1 Peter 2:24. Who is the sin-bearer? Whose sins were borne?
What two effects are mentioned?
8. Write out the phrases from Isaiah 53:4-5 which parallel the above answers.
Who struck Jesus for our sins?
In what way is the truth of Ephesians 2:8-9 related to the above facts?
Only when you have verified a person’s understanding of the problem and the remedy should you seek an active response.
9. What is necessary to be saved that accompanies faith in Jesus Christ? (Acts 20:21)
10. What must I do with Jesus Christ? (John 1:12)
11. Who is Jesus Christ? (John 1:1,14)
12. What is the promise of John 5:24 and 1 John 5:12?
Ask yourself these questions:
Are you living the life of a true believer (not a hypocrite)? How are you taking the initiative in speaking to others?
What verses have you memorized so you can show someone else the way to heaven?
Review Romans 10:9; 1 John 5:13; Acts 2:41; Matthew 28:19; Joshua 1:8; Mark 1:35; Matthew 7:7; John 10:10b; 1 Corinthians 10:13; Proverbs 28:13; Luke 6:46; Acts 2:42
Memorize 1 John 5:12, “He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.”
Acts 1:8, “You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.”