As a child of God, we have a Father who cannot lie and His words are always true: “Thy Word is truth.” Because He is always consistent with what He says, we can rely on His word totally; we can be sure about a matter that He has stated.
1. We need to be certain of what is true. In court this is established by the testimony of a witness who swears that he knows certainly that something is true.
Who is the witness concerning the Son? (1 John 5:9)
Where is the record of this witness to be found? (John 5:39)
What does the record (witness) promise? (1 John 5:11)
These verses teach us that we can be certain of our salvation through what God’s Word (the Bible) says.
2. If you hear and believe God’s Word concerning the Lord Jesus Christ, three things are promised. What are they? (John 5:24)
What you have now:
What you will avoid in the future:
What has happened already:
3. Christ calls those who believe “my sheep.” He knows them. They hear His voice and follow Him. (John 10:27-30)
What do they have?
What will not happen?
Who keeps them safe?
The Word of God can make us
sure of salvation. However, there is something else that makes us
safe from the judgment of God. It is not your works, your prayer, or your baptism. It is what the Lord Jesus accomplished on the cross.
4. What is the one thing that redeems us (buys us back) to God and keeps us from the judgment of God? (1 Peter 1:18-20)
5. Forgiveness can only be based on one thing. What is it? (Hebrews 9:22)
Ask yourself these questions:
How can you be sure of salvation?
What makes us safe from eternal judgment? In what are you trusting for your salvation?
Review Romans 10:9
Memorize 1 John 5:13, “These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may know that you have eternal life.”