“And God made coats of skins, and clothed them.”
This verse gives us a typical picture of a sinner’s salvation.
1. It was the first Gospel sermon, preached by God Himself, not in words but in symbol and action.
2. It was a setting forth of the way by which a sinful creature could return to God.
3. It was the initial declaration of the fundamental fact that “without the shedding of blood there is no remission.
4. It was the blessed illustration of “substitution”—the innocent dying in place of the guilty.
Notice that it was God who furnished the skins—made the coats—and clothed Adam and Eve. They did nothing.
This great truth is illustrated in the prodigal son. The father said “Bring forth the best robe and put it on him.” The prodigal did nothing—all was done for him. “For by grace you are saved, through faith and that not of yourselves—it is the gift of God.”
“Behold the Lamb of God which beareth away the sin of the world.” Think of what was involved in this statement. Down through the centuries Israel had known of the sacrificed lamb.
They knew of Abel’s lamb—and of Abraham’s lamb—the Passover lamb. They knew also of the lamb placed every morning and evening on the alter in the temple service. Isaiah had prophesied of One who would be led as a lamb to the slaughter. At last He had come, of whom the prophets had spoken, and John exclaimed “Behold the Lamb of God” etc.
Note that he came to take away the SIN of the world—not just the sins.
Size of the Ark—490 ft. long—80 ft. wide—50 ft. high.
1. The Ark was a Divine provision. Gen 6:13-14.
2. The Ark was a refuge from Divine judgment. It was a place of safety. It was the only place of deliverance from the wrath to come.
3. Into the Ark man was invited to come. “Come thou and all thy house into the Ark.” Gen 7:1.
4. The Ark was a place of absolute security. It was pitched within and without, with pitch. Double security. Noah was shut in by God. Gen 7:16.
5. There was only one door into the Ark.
There is only one way of escape from eternal death. There is only one way of deliverance from the wrath to come. There is only one Savior from the Lake of fire. “I am the Way” etc. “I am the door.” The door was in the side of the Ark—this pointed forward to the piercing of the Lord’s side.
Jacob—God’ promises to him. Gen 28:15. Despite his helplessness and unworthiness God said to him, I am with thee—I will keep thee—I will bring thee—I will not leave thee.