The Day of the Lord
The Day of the Lord extends from the Rapture until the purgation of the heavens and the earth by fire, preparatory to the new heavens and new earth. Momentous events will take place within this “Day:”
- A confederation of countries will form a Roman Empire (see Daniel 2 and Daniel 7). A political ruler will rise to rule this empire and he will make a covenant with Israel (see Daniel 9:27 and Revelation).
- A false religious system will be formulated under a false prophet (see Revelation 13:11-18).
- The pouring out of judgments will take place: the seal judgments (see Revelation 6), the trumpet judgments (see Revelation 8:11), and the bowl judgments (see Revelation 16).
- The overthrow of the professing Church will occur (see Revelation 17-18).
- The events of the campaign of Armageddon will take place (see Ezekiel 38-39; Revelation 16:16 and Revelation 19:17-21).
The “Day of the Lord” is a day of suffering and judgment. Future events cast their shadows before, due to a combination of extensive tribulations and the teachings of false teachers. The Thessalonian believers thought that the Day of the Lord was arriving (2 Thess. 2:1-2). Paul says in 2 Thess. 2:3, “Let no man deceive you by any means.” Certain things have to come to pass before this great and terrible day of the Lord comes.
1. There must be a “falling away” – (i.e. the Church Assembly, a rebellion, the world).
2. The man of sin or the “man of lawlessness” must appear:
a. His character – man of sin – wickedness (see 2 Thess. 2:3)
b. His destiny – perdition (see 2 Thess. 2:3)
c. His activity – opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is God’s (see 2 Thess. 2:6)
3. He must sit in the temple of God and proclaim himself to be God (Daniel predicts this—math repeats it)
2 Thessalonians 2:6 - Surely, after all I have told you verbally and written to you, “You know what is restraining him now, so that he may be revealed in his time.” The Holy Spirit is the “restrainer.” [Consider the individual in 2 Thess. 2:7]. The Holy Spirit will leave the world at the Rapture with the Church. At His departure a restraint will be removed. Lawlessness, which we see in embryonic form today, will result in unprecedented wickedness and violence.
2 Thessalonians 2:7 - Paul affirms that the “mystery of lawlessness is already at work.” “The spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience.” This mystery of lawlessness indicates something that is beyond human knowledge. The fact of lawlessness can be understood, but who can define or stop the irresistible force that touches off and perpetuates this wickedness. “Restrict the sale of guns,” say some - “Build better houses,” say others. “Create employment, emancipate the underprivileged, provide welfare, which leads to higher taxation, and meet force with force.” Despite these and many other schemes costing billions, lawlessness runs riot; the sinister force behind it remains uncurbed and untamed.
Beloved, I sincerely believe that the force that is at work in the world today is the same force that will control mankind during the reign of terror in the Tribulation. This leads us to a very solemn thought. If that is so, then we are living close to the end of the age. This is the beginning of sorrows and when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, for your redemption draweth nigh.
[Something to consider: When will the Holy Spirit be taken away?]
2 Thessalonians 2:8 - “A lot of blasphemy” indicates the character of his rule. This is the description of the “man of sin” the man appointed by the people, controlled by Satan.